CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Louisville to New York: Status - Delayed

Well, ladies and gentlemen, since I will be far far away from pretty much everyone I know for the summer I decided to keep this blog as an update center for everyone who cares. I'll be making updates fairly often giving you the highlights and random factodes of my experience here in the Big Apple. To start things off, I'll give you my day today... enjoy.


So, I was scheduled to leave Louisville International today at 4:35. That meant that I would reach New York by around 7 pm at the latest, arrive at my housing by say 8 and be hanging out with my dear cousin Kimberly by oh... 8:30. And let's not forget actually having time to eat dinner. Great plan right? Oh absolutely. Did it go that way? Not on your life.


The trouble started at about 3pm when I got at the airport. Because there was no one sitting outside at the curbside check-in I went inside. Now I should have expected that something wasn't right when I heard the counter-women asking if I had a connection in New York. Now, not thinking anything of it, I went on my marry way and went through security and started heading down to my gate. As I looked up at the "Departures" sign, to my horror, I discovered that my flight was two hours delayed. How crappy is that!?!? As it turned out, I didn't get on my plane until 6:45, and we didn't leave Louisville until 7:15 or so. It was so annoying. Then we had to stay in a "holding pattern" for about 30-45 minutes. So basically, I didn't make it into New York until 10, that's 3 hours later than planned.


The next stage of the adventure came when I got on the Shuttle. Now this should have been perfectly simple: give them a call, get in the van, get dropped off. Perfectly simple. Now, getting the shuttle was a bit annoying because the phone didn't work right and I couldn't find my invoice (which would be needed later as to find out). They checked me in via my last name and I went to sit. Now, it was around 10:30-40, and I make it on the Shuttle. Problem here was that they needed the "cross streets" but the I-House isn't on a cross street, its in the freaking middle of a street and I didn't know what to tell them. Thankfully the Indian driver (the country, not native American) knew what I meant when I told him the I-House. The shuttle was completely full which means we'll be making several stops. So we've made two stops and we've stopped at a red light. We're right next to a cop car that has pulled over a taxi. As we pull away from the light, all of a sudden we hear a cop siren. Yes, that's right, WE GET PULLED OVER!!! Can you freakin' believe it, it's 11:15 at night, we're an airport shuttle and we get freaking pulled over right after a stop light. As it turns out, a tail light was out. It was so stupid. Don't they know that it was a shuttle service and they wouldn't let the van out if it wasn't in complete legal standing and that the light must have shorted out like two seconds ago? Oh well. Eventually we get going again and thank goodness I was the next stop.


So basically, I had planned on being settled in New York, hanging out with my favorite cousin by 8:30 and I end up not making it to my room until 12:00. So, I was stuck in the airport for hours, stuck in the air for hours, stuck in a shuttle for too long, and didn't get to see my cousin. Oh and don't even get me started on the size of this room! All I can say, if Ashley really does need to crash with me on Memorial day, I'm going to step on her. There will be pictures later... when I unpack.


Well, it's 1 in the morning, I'm going to bed. Night.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh Brittany, things will get much better I promise...like tonight.

And I was just as bummed as you that I didn't get to see my favorite cousin last night.

Tiffany said...

Don't hate NYC just yet! I'd say give it a little while and you will love it there! Glad you got there safely though! Have fun!