CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

The ACK-attack weekend Catch-up Part 1: Thursday

I promised last week that I would get around to making a "play-by-play" summary of how my Memorial Day weekend went with Ashley, Cami, and Kyle here in New York, so here we go. I'm going to break this down into days they were here. We did a whole lot of stuff, so this will be the best way to do it. So without further delay, here's the first installment of ACK-Weekend!

Thursday:


So, the traveling trio ended up taking a red-eye flight in to the city which meant they showed up around 7 in the morning. Unfortunately for th
em, because they were going to be staying in Kim's apartment (or one of the guy's in the ward's place in Kyle's case) and she would be off at work by the time they got into the city, they couldn't get into the apartment until that afternoon. So they came up to my place to drop off their stuff for the day and then had to go play tourist for the day until I got off work. Basically they were dead on their feet. Who knew that going with barely any sleep would make you tired? Oh or the fact the Kyle was still basically running on Sydney time because he had just gotten back from a Young Ambassadors trip on the Monday before. Crazy, no? Anyway, so I headed off to work, and they headed off around town with the help of my trusty tourist books with subway map inserts.



While I was off making a powerpoint presentation on Nielsen's latest report on America's readiness to the switch to Digital TV next year, (which just so happened to be presented to clients this past Thursday i might add) Ashley, Cami and Kyle went off and saw Tiffany's on Fifth Ave, the MET, and an unfortunately fruitless attempt at the Guggenheim which was closed that day. Here are som
e pictures of them during their journey.





This is Ashley and Cami outside the Tiffany's on Fifth Avenue. Each got a new ring. Honestly, I don't even want to know how much they cost... but they wore them all weekend, so they must really like them.










Here's Ashley and Kyle on the Roof top of the Met. Thursday was the only day that it was rainy the whole time they were here. They actually got really lucky and it was basically done raining by the time they got up to the I-House that morning, so it was just nasty looking, but not all that bad otherwise. It was just a little cool.

Oh, don't they look so happy to be awake! (trust me, they'll get better as the days go by... sort of.)






So, since I wasn't with them during the day, I stole these pictures off Cami's camera. This is by far my favorite of the pictures they took of the art inside the MET. Why you ask? Well, if you can't tell, they censored Perseus (the guy holding Medusa's head)! This is a tradition Greek male nude. He's supposed to look like this, no clothes and what not. Since Perseus was a guy he's... um, he's all there we'll say. When it's art, nudity can be ok to show sometimes... oh well, I'm amused at least. Must be all those art history classes paying off some.... moving on.





When I finally got to meet up with them later that afternoon, we had just enough time to get their things from my room and book it downtown to Kim's before she went off to see the new Indiana Jones movie (which I still want to go see sometimes myself... even my parents have seen it and I haven't!) Anyway, we get down to Kim's and the Trio changed clothes cause we're heading off to Wicked! Yes ladies and gents, my first ever Broadway show! And can I just say, it was great! True, it was the stereotypical musical that all Mormons are seeing now, but hey, it was still a good show. The set was cool, the music was lovely, and the cast was great. Glinda and Elphaba (that's the Wicked Witch of the West) got their hair stuck together at one point which was really funny. I think Glinda was my favorite. I will never be able to watch the Wizard of Oz again without seeing Glinda as a flighty dumb blonde again! Ha! My favorite line was one of hers. "Just let the girl and her little dog 'Do-Do' go Elphie. They're just shoes for goodness sakes!"... well, you'll get it if you see it. It's pretty darn funny. We had a good time, even if we didn't get to sit together.





Here's Ashley and Cami next to one of the posters outside the theater.









After Wicked we called it a night. We had big plans for Friday and the Travelers were basically dead on their feet at this point. So I took them back down town for beddy-bye, and headed home myself to catch as much sleep as possible so we could make it to the Today Show by 6:30 the next morning...

Well, I'll be leaving it there for now. I'll be back soon with more of the weekend events and many more pictures, maybe even a movie clip or two. You'll just have to wait and see. Night folks!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Sounds like the beginnings of a fun weekend! I'm glad you liked Wicked! Now we have to get you to something that will change your life! (Ok, maybe that's a little melodramatic, but I have a theatre degree... A degree, that sounds weird!) Anyway, I'm glad you're loving it there! I can't wait to hear more! XOXOXO

Jeffrey and Monica said...

Sounds like fun! Rings at Tiffany's, wow! My personal favortie is the statue! I've heard good things about Wicked, that's awesome you got to see the broadway verson.

Anonymous said...

Mom: I am anxiously awaiting the next installment. Let's get to it already !!!

Jeffrey and Monica said...

I'm right there with ya Kathy! Put a fire under it and get 'er done!